New York AHGP
Part of the American History & Genealogy Project

Villages and Hamlets Southampton, Suffolk County, New York

 

Watermill

This was settled very early, the grist mill being erected there by Edward Howell in 1644, and the land being taken up by the sons of the first settlers. It is in the parish of Southampton village. It maintains a prosperous district school and has a population of nearly 200.

Sagg

This village was settled as before stated about 1660. The earliest settlers were Josiah Stanborough, John and Elnathan Topping, Henry Pierson, Christopher Learning and Rev. Ebenezer White. Theophilus, son of Major John Howell, settled here quite early on land now occupied by Gr. Clarence Topping. Daniel Hedges came here about 1702 from East Hampton and was the progenitor of those of the name in Southampton. Among the oldest epitaphs in the village burying ground are the following:

"Here lies buried the body of Theophilus Howell, Esq. Aged 77 years; deceased March the 12, 1739."
"Coll. Henry Peirson deceased November the 15 in the 50 year of his age. 1701."
"Mr. Peregrine Stanborough, Deacon in the Parish. Departed this life Jan. the 4, 1701, in the 62 year of his age."
"Here lies the Body of Captain Elnathan Topping, who departed this life March the 26 anno Domini 1705, aged 64 years."
"Here lieth the Body of John Topping, Justice of the Peace, aged fifty years, who departed this life in the 29 day of May in the year 1686."
"Here was layed the body of Mr. Nathaniel Busco, who dyed August the 21st Anno 1714, in the 67 year of his age."

Noyac

Isaac Jessup settled here in 1712. His homestead continued in this family till about 1800, when Silas Jessup sold it to Jeremiah Osborn and after the death of his son Judge John S. Osborn it was sold to David Wiggins. A fulling mill was built here about 1690 by John Parker and in 1718 was owned by Jonah Rogers. The place is now well known from the fine trout ponds stocked and owned by G-. W. Thompson.

Canoe Place

This is on a peninsula between the Shinnecock and Peconic bays, called Niamuck by the Indians, and Canoe Place by the settlers from the fact that canoes were drawn here from one bay to another by the Indians. The present hotel property was sold by the trustees of the proprietors in 1739 to Jeremiah Culver. Until the revolution his house was the only habitation between Riverhead and Southampton. From the revolution to the present day the successive owners have been Major George Herrick, John Howell, grandfather of Charles Howell late of Ketchabonuck, George Seaman and Israel Conkling.

Squiretown

This is a small hamlet near Peconic bay north of Good Ground. The first settler was Ellis Squires who came from East Hampton.

Good Ground

This thriving village has sprung up since 1800. It contains a Methodist church built in 1863 and a school-house. It is so named from the fact that it is an oasis amid the barren pine lands that surround it.

Ponquogue, formerly Paugonquogue

This is a small hamlet on the Shinnecock bay and has a fine light-house erected in 1857. The Bay View Hotel erected here in 1875 is a large structure and attractive to sportsmen on account of abundant game in the vicinity.

Atlanticville

Formerly Fourth Neck contained in 1880 a population of 267. It has a small Methodist church and a school-house. The creek on the east called by the Indians Achabacawesuck has been abbreviated to Weesuck by the later inhabitants. A large boarding-house frequented by sportsmen is located on Tiana bay, owned by Benjamin F. Squires.

Quogue

This neck of fertile land was known as Quaquanantuck by the Indians, but as life was too short to grapple with the polysyllabic names of the aborigines, it soon dwindled to Quaqua and finally to Quogue, its present appellation. Settlements began here about 1740 by the Cooks, Fosters, Howells and Posts from Southampton. Among the epitaphs of the old burying ground we give the following:*

"Here lies the body of Jonathan Cook, who departed this life March 7, 1754, aged 54 years."
"In memory of Elizabeth, wife of John Foster, who departed this life the 18th of March 1773, in the 78th year of her age."
"In memory of Mr. Elisha Howell, who died Sept. 7, 1777, in the 73rd year of his age.
"In memory of Abigail, wife of Captain John Post, who died March, 17, 1772, in the 67 year of her age."
Captain John Post, the first settler here, died Jan. 3, 1792, aged 92.
"In memory of Mr. Nathan Herrick, who died March 24 A. D. 1783, in the 83rd year of his age."

This village has now numerous large boarding-houses and is a favorite summer resort as the neck of land extends down to the shores of the ocean with Shinnecoek bay on the east and Quantuck bay on the west.

Quiogue

This is a small village between Aspatuck and Quantuck Rivers, on land formerly called Little Assup's Neck. Here stands the Presbyterian church of the parish of West Hampton and Quogue where Rev. Wm. B. Reeves, M. D., after preaching twenty years as stated supply was finally installed as pastor in 1875.

Ketchabonack

This is a district with farm houses scattered here and there, lying next west and north-west of Quogue. Jonathan Raynor was probably the first white resident, having a homestead here in 1738; now occupied by Elisha Raynor. In this locality the late Governor John A. Dix had a country seat and near this was the summer house of Joseph Alden, D. D., ex-president of the State Normal School at Albany. Mr. Mortimer D. Howell has a large boarding-house; has for several years been a popular summer resort for people of the city.

Onuck and Potunk

These are two necks of land west of Ketchabonack. Onuck or Wonunk was as early as 1738 occupied by Isaac Halsey, and is still the residence of his descendants. Potunk was settled some time previous to the revolution and one of the first to move here was John Jessup, whose homestead was occupied by his grandson Deacon John S. Jessup who but a few years ago full of honors for a life of integrity went over to the majority. West Hampton.

There is no one village of this name at present, but it is the name of a station on the Long Island railroad and also is applied as a name to all that district generally between Quogue and Speonk.

Beaverdam

A grist mill was built here on the mill stream as early as 1748. "Before the mill-dams were built on Beaverdam and Speonk rivers the old country road crossed these streams near their heads, and it is supposed, at the same places the Indians had their crossings. After the dams were built the roads were turned so as to cross them. At the old road, some distance north of the mill at Beaverdam, is the corner between the ' Upper Division ' and the ' Last Division ' in Quogue purchase. A line running from the center of the dam to the bridge at Riverhead separates Quogue and Topping's purchases, and this dam is also the corner of the 'Speonk Division,' and 'Last Division' in the latter." * A Presbyterian church was erected here somewhat previous to 1758. Among the old monuments in the burying ground are the following:

"In memory of Stephen Jagger Esq., who died April 10 1796 in the 77th year of his age."
"In memory of Ephraim Halsey, who died August 20th 1764, aged 71 years.''
"In memory of Cornelius Halsey, who died April 19, 1782, in the 61 year of his age."

The people of West Hampton have honored themselves in erecting a monument to the memory of the soldiers from that neighborhood whose lives were sacrificed in the slaveholders' rebellion. It is of brown stone, about sixteen feet high and has the following inscriptions:

"West Hampton's tribute to the patriotism and bravery of her sons who in the warrior the preservation of the Union heroically fought and honorably fell."
Captain Franklin B. Hallock Sergeant Cyrus D. Tuthill Corporal Hiram A. Wines
Reeves H. Havens
Timothy W. Robinson
Thomas M. Smith
Edward Stephens
James E. Griffing
Henry S. Raynor

Speonk

This village was settled about 1740 and the earliest settlers were Abraham Halsey (son of Thomas, son of Thomas the first of the name in Southampton), John and James Tuthill, Joseph Rogers, from Bridgehampton 1760, and the Phillips family, consisting of four brothers, William, Josiah, Joseph and Moses, from Brookhaven in 1757. The village has a Methodist church and school-house and the population in 1880 was 196.

Waterville

The westernmost village on the south shore of the town is. Waterville, formerly Seatnek. It has a population of about 200-engaged in farming and fishing.

Flanders

This is a small settlement in the north-west section of the town near Riverhead. The first house was erected here about 1770 by Josiah Goodale. Families of Squires and Fanning came soon after. The population is 126.

Footnote:
* W. S. Pelletreau, to whom we are indebted for many facts in this sketch of the villages.
* W. S. Pelletreau.

 Southampton | AHGP New York

 

Source: Early History of Southampton, Long Island, New York, by George Rogers Howell, Second Edition, 1887.

Please Come back Soon!!




Hosted Free

This page was last updated Monday, 18-Jan-2016 18:48:50 EST

Copyright August 2011 - 2017The American History and Genealogy Project.
Enjoy the work of our webmasters, provide a link, do not copy their work.